Pesto is one of those kitchen staples that, home chef or not, you should definitely know how to make. It is easy enough to throw together on a whim, but never fails to impress. The beautiful green color is immediately infectious, the smell divine, and the versatility, unparalleled.I absolutely love arugula! Its spicy, crunchy, subtle bitterness adds a certain effervescence to any dish. Adding arugula to the pesto complements the robust flavor of the basil, and the added zest of a lemon creates a wonderful subtile citrusy summer pesto that you will want to make over and over again!
- 1 Cup Packed baby arugula
- 1 Cup Packed basil leaves
- 2/3 cup good quality EVOO
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Pine nuts-lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Toast pine nuts until lightly browned
- Combine arugula, basil, pine nuts, lemon zest and 1/4 cup of the asiago in blender/food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped
- Slowly add the olive oil as you continue to blend
- Stir in the remaining asiago
- Season with salt/pepper to taste
Note: If you are making your pesto ahead of time use ice cube trays to freeze it allowing for easy pre-portioned cubes that can be mixed right into hot pasta!